I have had these file folders for years and decided it was finally time to do something with them. And since it's November (yikes!) and time for a new challenge on Mini Album Makers Challenge blog . . . well, why not use them to create a mini-book.
All the file folders will be cut down so that the finished book will measure 7.5" wide X 9" tall and will have 4 large pockets.
You will need:
- 5 File Folders - 2 with left tabs and 3 with right tabs. The file folders I used are from Cavallini. There are countless designs available at your local office supply store.
- Cardstock for the binding - 7-3/8" X 5-1/4"
- Score Board
- To make the cover: Take one file folder with a right tab and cut it down to 7.5" wide.
- Lay it down, long side to the top of your score board with the tab at the top left corner. Score at 9" and 10". This will become the spine of the book. Note the score line at 9.5". That's the original fold of the file folder. We'll ignore that until later.
3. Cut the other four file folders. Keeping the tabs, cut 2 folders from the left side and 2 from the right as follows: Close the file folders before trimming. Cut each one 7.5" wide, again keeping the tabs intact. Save the trimmings for later.
4. Using the same 4 file folders from step 3 above, keep the file folders closed and cut them from the bottom to measure 9" tall. You will now have 2 pieces for each file folder - a front and a back with a tab.
Binding: We'll be using the standard hidden hinge binding system.
- Take a piece of cardstock that measures 7-3/8" X 5-1/4". Place the 5-1/4" side up against the top of your scoreboard and score as follows: 1/4" - 3/4" - 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" - 2" - 2-1/2" - 2-3/4"-3-1/4" - 3-3/4" - 4" - 4-1/2" - 5".
- As you can see from the photo below, you will start and end with a 1/4" seam allowance. You will also have 4 pairs of 1/2" seams. On each of those pairs, cover one side only with score tape. So you will have 1/4" no tape - 1/2" tape - 1/2" no tape . . . 1/4" no tape - 1/2" tape - 1/2" no tape and so on.
3. Remove the scor-tape from the first 1/2" seam and secure that seam to the next 1/2" seam, folding on the score line between the 2 half inches. Remove the scor-tape from the next 1/2" seam and fold that seam to the next 1/2" seam. Continue to do this until all 1/2" seams are secured to their partner.
Once this is complete, you have something that looks a bit like an accordion until you turn it over. Fold on the score lines and you will see fins popping up. Those fins are what you'll use to attach the pages.
4.Place scor-tape on both sides of each fin and miter the corners of each fin.
You'll need the original file folder that was trimmed down and scored.
5. Next place scor-tape on the bottom of this binding system and place on the inside center of the file folder, making sure to get it as even as possible between the two score lines you created earlier for the spine.
So now you have the original folder with the binding system taped to the spine.
You're ready to work on the 4 pages:
- You should have pieces of file folder left from trimming them down. You will need 8 pieces that measure 2" wide X 7.5" tall.
- With the 2" side up against the top of your score board, score at 1". Do this with all 8 pieces. These will become the side closures for each folder.
- Place scor-tape on one side of each of the 8 pieces, making sure to not let the scor-tape cover the scored line.
- Add one piece to the inside of one of the folders, making sure the folded scored line is to the outside of the folder and about 3/4" from the bottom of the folder:
5. Remove the piece of scor-tape from the top hinge and add the top of the file to the scor-tape:
6. Carefully remove the tape from one of the binding fins and insert the bottom of one of the pockets over the binding fin. Page 1 complete! Repeat with the other 3 pages.
Add the Pages to the Binding:
- Remove the score tape from one of the fins. Choose the file folder you want to use first and carefully place the bottom of the file folder bottom opening over the first fin.
- Repeat with the other 3 pages until all the pages are inserted over the fins.
Your file folder book is complete.
Decorate as desired and add inserts to the pockets for more photo opportunities.
Design Team to see what everyone has been up to this month.
and enter your own mini-book for this month's challenge.
You'll have a chance to win a prize package from our sponsor: